How to Install a Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace
Wall mounted electric fireplace can be simply hung on pretty much any wall, just like a flat-screen TV or a picture. Most wall-mounted electric fireplaces come with brackets and hardware needed for installation.
Can you Install a Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace Yourself
Wall mounted electric fireplace can be a DIY installation because it doesn't require any structural modifications. You might need some help if you are installing a larger unit because these fireplaces can be pretty heavy.
As a general rule, keep combustible materials, such as furniture, pillows, bedding, papers, clothes, and curtains at least 3 feet (0.9m) away from the front of the fireplace, 1.5 feet away from the sides, and never near the rear or the unit.
Before you start the installation, make sure the fireplace functions correctly - plug it in, play with heat and lights, if everything works, move on with the installation.
1. Find a safe location close to a power outlet.
Find a location that is close to a power outlet. Never use an extension cord. The main cable must remain at the back of the appliance and must not be in contact with any hot element.
Depending on the type of the fireplace you are working with, you need to consider appropriate clearances from flammable objects around it, please refer to the product manual for your particular fireplace.
Good to know:
- Top heat fireplaces should not be placed directly under an outlet because the heat coming from the top can heat up the electrical cord too much and cause a fire.
- If you are looking for a fireplace to hang below your TV - bottom and front heat units are your best choices.
- Bottom heat fireplaces should be kept at least 1.5 ft off the floor, while top- and front heat units don't have this restriction and can be placed as low as you wish.
2. Attach Bracket(s) to The Wall.
Wall-mounting brackets and all the hardware are included with your fireplace. Make sure you find studs or use plastic anchors as most of the fireplaces are pretty heavy: 50-200 lbs.
3. Attach Brackets to The Bottom of The Fireplace (Some Models).
Some fireplaces have bottom brackets for extra support. If this is the case - attach brackets to the bottom of the unit (some models have it attached).
4. Hang The Fireplace on The Bracket.
There could be either slots (pic.A) or hooks (pic. B) on the back of the fireplace. So you either insert the keyhole slots on the back of the fireplace over the hooks on the mounting bracket. Or align the hooks on the back of the fireplace with the slots on the wall bracket and set hooks into the slots.
5. Secure The Bottom of The Fireplace to The Wall.
If you have an extra bracket at the bottom of the fireplace, now it is the time to attach it to the wall.
6. Plug Power Cord and Enjoy.
NOTE: The power cord usually has three prongs (A). If a 3-slot plugin is not available, an adapter must be used (C). The adapter must be properly grounded to the outlet box.
We have covered the general 6-step process of hanging a wall mounted electric fireplace on a wall. It might be slightly different depending on the brand and your particular project.
Please note that all electric fireplaces sold on our website come with installation manuals that provide detailed instructions on how to install each particular unit. Most of the product manuals are published on our website in downloadable PDF format on each product page.
Here are some examples of product manuals from different brands of wall mounted electric fireplaces that we carry:
- Modern Flames CLX2 Installation Manual
- Touchstone Onyx Installation Manual
- Amantii WM-FM Installation Manual
And remember, if you get confused at any point, you can always leave a comment below or contact us with any questions.