How to Build an Awesome Fireplace in Just One Weekend
A step-by-step guide on how to build an electric fireplace surround.
Picture a glamorous fireplace glowing under you flat screen TV and giving your living room an upscale and welcoming feel. Imagine your house guests enjoying a charming atmosphere your fireplace creates.
If you are ready to bring this dream into reality, we found a handy guide that shows you exactly how to install an electric fireplace under a TV and build a stone surround in just one weekend. Video courtesy of Whitney Hansen from http://whitneyhansen.com/.
1. Build a mantel
- Cut boards
- Distress the wood
- Stain the wood
- (3) 1x6 boards
- (3) 1x6 boards
- Ebony stain (goes on first)
- Bombay Mahogany Stain finish stain (goes on top of Ebony)
- Liquid Nails + Finish Nails
2. Frame a wall
Materials ($160) + Fireplace ($499)
- Fireplace insert 50.5"
- Mantel 60"
- Wall 75" wide x 8" tall x 8 deep
3. Sheetrock the wall
Prime the sheetrock first.
4. Install stone on the wall
- Lay rock on tarp + figure out the pattern. Mix different colors so it looks natural.
- Rent a wet tile saw (about $60 per day)
- Let dry for 24 hours
- Hang TV, Secure the fireplace
- 17 boxes of Desert Quartz stone from Lowes ($3.98 a piece)
- (2) 25 bags of Rapid Setting Gray Stone Mortar (heavy duty stuff)
- Wooden Spacers
Total: $1,314 and one weekend!
What are you waiting for? Start your project today! :)
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in DIY Fireplaces
With modern bio-ethanol burners, you can design and build your own eco-friendly ventless fireplace. All you need is an ethanol burner and some non-flammable material.